Re: Web application passing client info

From: Tanel Poder <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 22:26:12 +0800

Hi George,

You need to search for end to end metrics in Oracle docs. The API is there for PL/SQL, OCI, JDBC and ODP.NET.

The Java example I normally use during my training and demos is this (see the bold section which binds end to end metrics to a connection:

// java -cp $ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib/ojdbc5.jar:. Client_id

import java.sql.*;
import oracle.jdbc.OracleConnection;

public class Client_id {

    public static void main(String[] args) throws InterruptedException {

        try {

// get connection and statement
DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver()); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( "jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_localhost:1521:LIN11G", "system","oracle"); Statement stmt = conn.createStatement();
// set metrics for connection (will be sent to server the next
rountrip) String[] metrics = new String[OracleConnection.END_TO_END_STATE_INDEX_MAX]; metrics[OracleConnection.END_TO_END_CLIENTID_INDEX]="Tanel Poder:123"; * ((OracleConnection)conn).setEndToEndMetrics(metrics,(short)0); *
// run your SQL code. the client identifier attribute is bundled
with this roundtrip and automatically sent to server with this request ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT sid, username,
client_identifier FROM v$session WHERE type='USER' AND status='ACTIVE'");

// print output from v$session. here you should see this java
program's session with client identifier set

            System.out.printf("\n%4s %20s %30s\n", new Object[] {"SID", "USERNAME", "CLIENT_IDENTIFIER"});

            while ( {
                System.out.printf("%4s %20s %30s\n", new Object[]
{Integer.toString(rs.getInt("sid")), rs.getString("username"), rs.getString("client_identifier")} );

            catch (SQLException e) {

In PL/SQL you can use just dbms_session.set_identifier('xyz') and dbms_session.clear_identifier

Tanel Poder

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Rusnak, Al A CTR (USA) DeCA HQ CI <> wrote:

> Good morning,
> We run applications that have users logging in from all over the world.
> My question is:
>  What  code (procedure calls, function calls) do we need to add to our
> applications that will pass the client information (name, etc.) to the
> database when the application makes a connection to the database. All
> connections come in as UPDATE_USER or SELECT_USER and have been granted
> appropriate permissions on the schema owner objects.
> We are currently using Oracle
> Documentation, examples…....
> I have not been able to find what I need to pass on . I hope I have
> provided enough information.
> Thank you and have a GOOD NEW YEAR !!!
> Al Rusnak
> Database Administrator