Re: Using VMWare 2.0.2

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:18:20 -0800 (PST)

When installing I did not enable GRUB, so I'm thinking that would not be an issue. I'm going to install with VMWare 1 tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles

From: dave <>
Cc: Alessandro Vercelli <>; oracle-l <> Sent: Tue, November 24, 2009 10:07:40 AM Subject: Re: Using VMWare 2.0.2

I've had issues with grub not picking up the right boot partition.. if you can boot with your the install media and see it, then check your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and verify its looking at the partition you specified to be the boot partition when you did the install.

Not sure how familiar with grub but here is a clip. You want to be looking at the root(hd0,0) line. The below says to boot from the first partition of the first drive.

title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.6.9-78.0.1.ELhugemem)

        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-78.0.1.ELhugemem ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-78.0.1.ELhugemem.img