Re: Using VMWare 2.0.2

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:57:01 -0800 (PST)

Maybe I de-selected it on the install.... I just meant I wasn't doing anything special on the setup with the bootloader, so maybe I wasn't making myself clear. I've done this before a number of times and never had this problem. I'll try it again tonight and make sure I'm not stupidly de-selecting it. I've done stupider things.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles

From: "Blanchard, William" <wblanchard_at_societyinsurance.com> To: robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com; dave <david.best_at_gmail.com> Cc: Alessandro Vercelli <alever_at_libero.it>; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tue, November 24, 2009 1:13:24 PM
Subject: RE: Using VMWare 2.0.2

Robert,

You need to have some type of bootloader installed (grub, lilo [is that even used anymore], etc). Try reinstalling with grub on /boot and see if that does the trick.

WGB

installing I did not enable GRUB, so I'm thinking that would not be an issue.
I'm going to install with VMWare 1 tonight and see if that fixes the problem.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle
Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN
Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database
11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database
11g New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles

 From: dave
<david.best_at_gmail.com>
To: robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com
Cc: Alessandro Vercelli
<alever_at_libero.it>; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tue, November 24, 2009 10:07:40
AM
Subject: Re: Using VMWare
2.0.2

I've had issues with grub not picking up the right boot partition..
if you can boot with your the install media and see it, then check
your /boot/grub/grub.conf file and verify its looking at the partition
you specified to be the boot partition when you did the install.

Not sure how familiar with grub but here is a clip. You want to be
looking at the root(hd0,0) line. The below says to boot from the
first partition of the first drive.

title Red Hat Enterprise Linux
AS (2.6.9-78.0.1.ELhugemem)

        root
(hd0,0)

        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-78.0.1.ELhugemem ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet

        initrd
/initrd-2.6.9-78.0.1.ELhugemem.img

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM,
Robert Freeman
<robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
wrote:
> This is RH 5. I'm pretty sure this is not a RH boot issue but
rather a VMWare issue.
> I'll try the boot with the media/rescue option
and see what happens tonight.