Re: Coke switches to DB2!!

From: Nuno Souto <>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:57:56 +1000

We run the I5/OS (AS400) version and Oracle 10g. There is no similarity whatsoever between i5 and z/os or luw versions of db2: completely different products with a common name.

Many years ago I pointed that out in c.d.o.s. Only to be derided by the IBM "experts" there. I'm glad nowadays even IBM is finally admitting there are 3 versions of DB2 and they bear no common code whatsoever.

Which one is more compatible with Oracle? Don't know and quite frankly: couldn't care less.

Any notion that one can switch database products because they are "compatible" is doomed to failure.

As IBM has proven for many years, with their different DB2 versions.

Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia