Re: Best practice for Dataguard in 10g?

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 19:59:13 +1000

Ahbaid Gaffoor wrote,on my timestamp of 3/09/2009 1:22 AM:
> Are you planning on using Fast Start Failover?
>
> If you are then I'd recommend not doing this unless you were on 10.2.0.4
> with all patches applied for FSFO

No way I'm using FSF. Last thing I need is the database deciding it should fail over!
I'll decide that, thank you very much.

> Some of the bugs do not show up unless your redo generation rate is
> high, high being around 2M of redo per second, or 200G in 24 hrs

Yeah, I know. We do 500GB/day, in spurts. That's why I am concerned.

> If you can go to 11g then you can also investigate dataguard
> compression, and some of the more configurable failover options

No can do. DW software we use is not certified for 11g, yet. Maybe next year.

> I have not seen any issues specifically due to using LGWR vs. ARC for
> shipping, using LGWR puts you in better shape (IMO) for setting up FSFO
> should you need it.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards using LGWR
at the moment as I'm on 10.2.0.3 and patched up. All feedback seems to indicate it's OK at that release level.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto