Re: Best practice for Dataguard in 10g?

From: Ahbaid Gaffoor <ahbaid_at_att.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 02:13:29 -0700

I've been using FSFO for about 8 months now in Production on some heavy redo producing systesm

I've used it for 10.2.0.3 (hit a few bugs), 10.2.0.4 with a few patches was stable, and I've been running it on a few 11.1.0.7 systems.

I agree that deciding when to failover is good to control, but having a system failover to another in under 40 seconds (that's my worst case, best case was 10 secs) on a hevily used prod system, without any manual intervention was incredible. Even if you did the steps manually, you can't beat it. I was able to get a db failoved over to another datacenter in a power loss event in 35 seconds using FSFO..

so I'd recommend it from 10.2.0.4 upwards

I still have to dig into the FSFO specific 11g enhancements, but I do know you can control failover programatically now.

regards

Ahbaid