Physical CPU? or multicore?

From: Karl Arao <>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 19:21:36 +0800

 With the release of Intel (Nehalem) 5500 series, which is 45nm and I believe also supports multicore and hyperthreading. There are some things going on my mind..So from a single socket (Nehalem), quad core and HT enabled. You could see 8 processors when you do cat /proc/cpuinfo

 But, from the performance perspective. Which is better?

 Having 8 physical CPUs? Or Having 1 Physical CPU with quad core and HT enabled?

 (Well, we know the license implications of 8 physical CPUs).. :)

 But for the performance engineers and capacity planners. I'd like to hear your opinion.

  • Karl Arao