Re: Physical CPU? or multicore?

From: Derya Oktay <>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:52:59 +0300

Hello Karl,

In my opinion, It will depend on the hardware architecture also. For instance, HP enterprise systems consist of cells(usually). Each cell contain some size of memory and a number of CPUs. Thus, if an operation uses CPU which requires more than a number of CPU which a cell contains, it will use the CPU on the other cell board. This means performance degradation due to the interconnection overhead between cell boards.

Thus, a system having 8 CPUs which is multi-threaded may be better than 4+4 CPU in two cells or boards.