Re: Physical CPU? or multicore?

From: Amar Kumar Padhi <amar.padhi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:47:28 +0400 (GST)

Hi Niall, more info. We actually had this need to compare the single and multi-cores for moving our existing 100s of servers to new ones. Yes today options are limited to multi-cores, but we still needed to know that keeping all other hardware aspects somewhat constant, how many cores match a single core. I also do infrastructure recommendation and that is the reason for me getting into this.

It has worked well as we were able to draw lines, put numbers instead of vague guesswork and recommend optimal standards. Yes, we looked at the changing attributes of the Cpu and other hardware (no VM for production though) , that also accounts for the final recommendation.

All this may not be required for a new shop starting with multi-cores only, in such case benchmarking the application on the cores itself will serve the purpose. For the clients I work with, most still continue to run old boxes and the comparison will keep coming up.

Thanks!
Amar
Www.amar-Padhi.com