RE: Physical CPU? or multicore?

From: Amar Kumar Padhi <amar.padhi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:04:31 +0400 (GST)

We follow the below formula:-
Hyperthreading = approx 25% more power than one non-core Cpu. 2 cores = approx 40% more power than one non-core Cpu.

I arrived at the above based on some web posted benchmarkings and internal testing.

So, if you have eight cores, it would round up to about 5.5 standard Cpu power approx. No matter what the sales guys tell you, 8 cores on one socket is not equivalent of 8 non-core standard Cpus. On the other hand, 8 cores are much cheaper to buy compared to its equivalent 6 standard Cpus.

Thanks!
Amar
Www.amar-Padhi.com