Re: Physical CPU? or multicore?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:53:11 +0100

I'm curious as to how you arrived at this, like at least the web links if not the internal testing, though why you would do internal testing just of the CPU I'm not sure.

AFAIK you cannot buy any system that has single nehalem cores. That is, you can only buy that CPU in multi-core variants. I believe the same is true of other multi-core CPUs that are available today. (as an aside I believe that "standard" CPUs today are multicore anyway but I digress).

So I'm just unsure what you compared with what and how.

Having said all that the CPU is not the unit of measurement I am not concerned with. How many IOPS against given storage (or if really pushed Java/C# TPS) would be my measurement, and it would be on a per-server basis.

cheers

Niall

--

Niall Litchfield