Re: ** latest stable oracle 10G client

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 09:37:22 -0800

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

> The simple fact that neither Hyperion, nor Peoplesoft or JDE support
> 11g yet says a lot: they are all Oracle sub-products. SAP, same.
> And just about most of the third party applications out there.
> That says a lot about the level of confidence 11g inspires.

Personally I think it says more about the time and effort required to fully certify an application for use with a version of a database.

Anyone familiar with SAP can attest to that. The CPU's are not certified for use until well after their release.

New patch levels and versions take quite some time.

We used 10.2.0.2 last summer for SAP upgrades, as 10.2.0.4 had not been officially sanctioned early enough to use it in our upgrade plans.

Believe me, I sorely wanted to use 10.2.0.4, as 10.2.0.2 was rather buggy. While the issues were addressed with workarounds and 'event' parameters for SAP, 10.2.0.2 caused issues with NetBackup.

I haven't yet checked to see if 11iR1 is approved for SAP.

Jared Still