Re: oracle recovery scenarios

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 09:44:44 -0800

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't do alot of recoveries, so when I need to do something, I

Here's what I think you need to address.

Don't write notes based on what you see in the manual

Write notes based on your own recovery tests.

Build a database, back it up, cripple it by removing a file or files, or whatever particular
example you wish to work with, recover it, and base your notes on what you found by
successfully recovering your database.

Don't forget to document what doesn't work.

Say you do something like connect to both the target and auxiliary instance when doing a database duplication, and type SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE, with the idea that you would restart the auxiliary.

What actually restarts is the TARGET, which is the source database.

Yup, you want to document that kind of thing as well.

Has that ever happened to me?

Nope, not me, I would never do anything like that. :)

Jared Still