RE: Question re Database Duplication

From: William Wagman <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:52:55 -0800

Unfortunately the folks who own the app aren't terribly willing to provide us with a true development environment no matter how much we urge, oh well. I suspect I will end up doing this using expdp/impdb but of course then they will complain about the downtime. At least I can easily fall back to the original system if things don't work.

Thanks for the response.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
(530) 754-6208
From: Jared Still [] Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 3:43 PM
To: William Wagman
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Question re Database Duplication

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM, William Wagman <<>> wrote: ...

1) going from 32-bit to 64-bit
2) going from to
3) going from SE to EE

I am pretty certain this isn't going to work, I don't believe OEM and RMAN have the intelligence built in to make the changes and I suspect I will have to use expdp/impdp but am just wondering if anyone has any further thoughts. Unfortunately I don't have an environment in which to test this.

A few months ago I migrated a 32 bit 9.2 database to on a 64 bit server, all at once.

RMAN was not used.

This was an SAP database, and a custom version of the dbua was employed.

No, I don't know what was different about this dbua. :)

The point is that the procedure can be done, but I can't tell you if OEM/RMAN is capable of doing this.

Further thoughts:

You absolutely need an environment to test this in. There are too many moving parts to try this and expect it to work in production.

There is a document on ML detailing 32bit -> 64bit conversions.

Jared Still