Re: Question re Database Duplication

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:42:44 -0800

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM, William Wagman <> wrote:

> 1) going from 32-bit to 64-bit
> 2) going from to
> 3) going from SE to EE
> I am pretty certain this isn't going to work, I don't believe OEM and RMAN
> have the intelligence built in to make the changes and I suspect I will have
> to use expdp/impdp but am just wondering if anyone has any further thoughts.
> Unfortunately I don't have an environment in which to test this.

A few months ago I migrated a 32 bit 9.2 database to on a 64 bit server,
all at once.

RMAN was not used.

This was an SAP database, and a custom version of the dbua was employed.

No, I don't know what was different about this dbua. :)

The point is that the procedure can be done, but I can't tell you if OEM/RMAN is capable of doing this.

Further thoughts:

You absolutely need an environment to test this in. There are too many moving parts to try this and expect it to work in production.

There is a document on ML detailing 32bit -> 64bit conversions.

Jared Still