Re: Question re Database Duplication

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 23:42:14 -0800 (PST)

I believe you can do this using RMAN.... Off the top of my head:
  1. Upgrade to in place on the 32 bit box. Upgrade the EE at the same time.
  2. Use the transportable tablespace features of Oracle to move the datafiles. I think (though I've never done it) that you can move the datafiles from 32-bit to 64-bit without converting them. Looking at some Doc this appears to be the case, but I'd do a small test first to be sure. If you have to convert you can use RMAN and cross-platform transportable tablespaces, move from the 32 bit box to the 64 bit box.
  3. Fire it up.

Bada boom, you are done.

 Robert G. Freeman
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now... Blog: The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)

  • Original Message ---- From: William Wagman <> To: oracle-l <> Sent: Friday, January 9, 2009 4:28:25 PM Subject: Question re Database Duplication

One of my databases is Oracle SE running on 32-bit RHEL4. I am building a new server running 64-bit RHEL4 and I will install Oracle EE on this server. My goal is to move the existing database to the new server. I am hoping to do this using the cloning feature of the OEM provisioning pack and wondering if this will work smoothly. The concerns I have are

  1. going from 32-bit to 64-bit
  2. going from to
  3. going from SE to EE

I am pretty certain this isn't going to work, I don't believe OEM and RMAN have the intelligence built in to make the changes and I suspect I will have to use expdp/impdp but am just wondering if anyone has any further thoughts. Unfortunately I don't have an environment in which to test this.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
(530) 754-6208