Re: Question re Database Duplication

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 23:43:46 -0800 (PST)

I really should look for other replies before I make mine.... Sorry to dupe the list there... :-(

 Robert G. Freeman
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now... Blog: The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)

From: Jared Still <> To:
Cc: oracle-l <> Sent: Friday, January 9, 2009 4:42:44 PM Subject: Re: Question re Database Duplication

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM, William Wagman <> wrote:

1) going from 32-bit to 64-bit
2) going from to
3) going from SE to EE

I am pretty certain this isn't going to work, I don't believe OEM and RMAN have the intelligence built in to make the changes and I suspect I will have to use expdp/impdp but am just wondering if anyone has any further thoughts. Unfortunately I don't have an environment in which to test this.

A few months ago I migrated a 32 bit 9.2 database to on a 64 bit server, all at once.

RMAN was not used.

This was an SAP database, and a custom version of the dbua was employed.

No, I don't know what was different about this dbua. :)

The point is that the procedure can be done, but I can't tell you if OEM/RMAN is capable of doing this.

Further thoughts:

You absolutely need an environment to test this in. There are too many moving parts to try this and expect it to work in production.

There is a document on ML detailing 32bit -> 64bit conversions.

Jared Still