Question re Database Duplication

From: William Wagman <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:28:25 -0800

One of my databases is Oracle SE running on 32-bit RHEL4. I am building a new server running 64-bit RHEL4 and I will install Oracle EE on this server. My goal is to move the existing database to the new server. I am hoping to do this using the cloning feature of the OEM provisioning pack and wondering if this will work smoothly. The concerns I have are

  1. going from 32-bit to 64-bit
  2. going from to
  3. going from SE to EE

I am pretty certain this isn't going to work, I don't believe OEM and RMAN have the intelligence built in to make the changes and I suspect I will have to use expdp/impdp but am just wondering if anyone has any further thoughts. Unfortunately I don't have an environment in which to test this.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
(530) 754-6208