Re: Any-one know how to eliminate PLANNED downtime with Oracle RAC?

From: Finn Jorgensen <finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:34:42 -0500

I'll second what Carel-Jan says. I've been at several client sites with clients asking for 5 9's uptime without having any idea of the cost and effort involved. Once I/we start breaking it down for them, most lighten up on their requirements. It'll take time and cost A LOT of money to implement. Not the least of which is to make sure you hire the best people you can get and pay them what it takes to get them so you implement the right solution. Also, don't forget you need a place to test your solution from time to time...

Most importantly, application changes will be required. many sites are not ready for that. As mentioned, most think they can just throw some money at the problem and it's delievered at their doorstep.

GL and let us know how you fare. It's certainly an interesting problem to work with!

Finn

 The fact is that, although many people believe/think/hope otherwise, High