RE: concepts document part about separating indexes and tablespaces

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:32:45 -0700

Greetings,

I suspect this may date back to the "old days." I remember some years ago a statement, I believe it was in an Oracle Press book on oracle administration, that the ideal number of disks for a database was 28
(maybe not that many but close). This was in days when disks were
smaller and performed differently. The idea was to spread things out across several disks, data, indexes, online redo logs, archive logs, undo, temp space, etc. so that I/O bottlenecks would be minimized. With today's faster and bigger (huger actually) disks this is not only less of an issue but difficult to do. How can you do that on a machine with 1 500GB disk? Why?

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Bobak, Mark Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:27 AM
To: ricks12345_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: concepts document part about separating indexes and tablspaces

If it says that, someone should file a documentation bug to get it fixed.

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.