Re: concepts document part about separating indexes and tablspaces

From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <riyaj.shamsudeen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:34:58 -0500

Mark
  Respectfully, I disagree. I think, separating tables and indexes is simply incorrect advice, if done for performance reasons. If it is done for ease of administration, I can understand that.
  In OLTP applications, typical pattern is access index, then access table. They are kind of sequential..
  In DSS applications, it is Full table scan or full index scan, collect rowids and then access table.

  Now, throw in (big enough) buffer cache and then unix buffer cache or OS buffer cache (don't have a clue about NT).

  Pattern completely changes. And then touch count based algorithm kicks in !

  Throw in multiple sessions performing similar operations, pattern gets complicated. So, this advice is not applicable even if there is just two disks. Better approach would be to use ASM or add both disks to one tablespace in the form of multiple files and muck up with extent size etc..

  One exception is that there is just one table and one index and only one session ever doing any activity and every logical I/O goes physical !

--
Cheers
Riyaj Shamsudeen