Re: Issues with Triggers in an Oracle RAC

From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <riyaj.shamsudeen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:21:25 -0500

I doubt that. We used many triggers in one of our applications deployed in RAC without much issues.

We also had 11i apps on RAC without any such issue, with many custom triggers.

If they encounter any issues with triggers, I think, that should be considered as a bug and dealt that way. Of course, create a table, row level trigger insert million rows in single instance and then, repeat the same in RAC, with sql trace on. That should be a good test to prove that triggers shouldn't cause much issues. You would see other RAC related events if you concurrently insert from multiple nodes to a table, but I doubt library cache lock/pins to be an issue.

[of course, if the trigger has dynamic DDL statements, then that could cause issues, but we are not considering those kind of triggers ]

Thanks
Riyaj Shamsudeen
Senior DBA
www.pythian.com