Re: Issues with Triggers in an Oracle RAC

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 23:11:16 +0800

Seems to be F.U.D .

Many purists prefer to avoid triggers altogether -- or minimise the use of triggers.
RAC performance issues come from non-scalable contention which is aggravated when across instances.

So your DBAs have put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4.

Two different issues together make their argument sound stronger !

Yes, FOR EACH ROW triggers firing concurrently across multiple instances may introduce contention --- but this could also be controlled by application and data partitioning (the same trigger for the same group of rows [blocks] doesn't get fired concurrently from two instances).

If they already do have trigger-based "limited" auditing, what are the additional
triggers that you are contemplating ?

Hemant K Chitale
http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com