Issues with Triggers in an Oracle RAC

From: Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 08:37:41 -0400

All,

I've been having a conversation where I work about using triggers in our application environment. The DBAs here say that triggers are not appropriate in an Oracle RAC. Specifically they tell me:

<snip>

Triggers in a RAC environment have been known to cause library cache lock waits (in RAC because of the global cache and global coordination that occurs, this wait event gets more pronounced - lib cache concurrency). This was one of the main reasons we didn't do fast refreshes of snapshots for the heavily used tables. Currently we also have limited auditing turned on and it is trigger based and wouldn't want to open the flood-gates for trigger based solutions - primarily for performance reasons
</snip>

Needless to say I'm confused as I've used simple audit triggers to populate change user IDs and timestamps in rows for years without issue. I understand that if there is complicated trigger logic there may be problems, but for calculating audit columns I can't see it being an issue. Anyone else have a policy that doesn't allow triggers in RAC environments?

We are on Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Prod.

--
Rumpi Gravenstein