Re: Storage System Bakeoff test plans

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 08:07:48 -0700 (PDT)

I think that testing like this is where Oracle 11g's Database Replay is going to come in so handy.

Shame you have to PAY for it!! :-)

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)

  • Original Message ---- From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:18:54 AM Subject: Re: Storage System Bakeoff test plans

I agree. Going through some smaller-scale IO testing right now, and Orion came back with fantastic (but not unrealistic) read throughput numbers for one SAN setup. But in practice, one troublesome query wasn't noticably faster despite originally spending 90% of it's time being IO bound. Why? That one query is still only pulling back 8K at a time from the database.

Turning parallel query on to utilize the SAN bandwidth with the new IO layout proved to be the major bang-for-buck (as well as proper adjustment of the multiblock read factor). Of course, there's a bug in parallel query and NVARCHAR2 bind variable casting that prevents us from using it...<sigh>

So, I believe that Orion is very useful, but the final test is with your database.

GL!

Rich

> Orion will let you test your IO stack to a certain extent. It's
[snip]
> Also, to configure Orion correctly, you need to know IO patterns of
> your data warehouse.
>
> Nothing better than real workload so if you have your DW test system
[snip]