RE: question about statspack

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:17:00 -0600

John,

I wrote a while back about how we know that the <SQL*Net message to client> event is mis-instrumented, and Tanel has blogged about it as well. These two links should help you:

https://portal.hotsos.com/newsletters/volume-i-issue-2/tips/sql-net-mess age-to-client-isn2019t-what-you-might-think-it-is/?searchterm="sql*net%2 0message%20to%20client
<https://portal.hotsos.com/newsletters/volume-i-issue-2/tips/sql-net-mes
sage-to-client-isn2019t-what-you-might-think-it-is/?searchterm=%22sql*ne t%20message%20to%20client> "

http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2008/02/10/sqlnet-message-to-client-vs-sqlnet -more-data-to-client/).

Bottom line is that you're never going to see a lot of time in the
<SQL*Net message to client> bucket, but the #calls statistic is a
reliable indication of how many round-trips your application is inflicting upon your end-user response time. That time is tallied into the <SQL*Net message from client> event.

Cary Millsap

Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.

http://www.hotsos.com

Nullius in verba

Hotsos Symposium 2009 / March 8-12 / Dallas

Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of John Smith Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:19 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: question about statspack

I have a statspack report with this line as one of the wait events:

SQL*Net message to client 7,255,516 0 3 0 900.0

As you can see, the number of waits is very high, but the actual time is only 3 seconds in the course of an hour. Is this something I need to be concerned about?