Partition exchange

From: Ken Naim <>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:35:01 -0400

I am in the process of moving the partitions of a table from ASSM to a non-assm tablespace using the partition exchange method (create non partitioned table, indexes, constraints etc.). When I do the alter table exchange partition including indexes without validation command it runs for hours, doing a full table scan on all the partitions of the partitioned table which takes many hours. I understood that just the data dictionary is updated, and it should take a few seconds. Primary Wait event is db file scattered read. Can anyone shed some light on this phenomenon. DB version is and is running on Solaris 10.