ASM to replace vxvm/vxfs;

From: Zhu,Chao <zhuchao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:34:20 -0800

hi

   We are considering the possibility of replacing veritas vxvm/vxfs with oracle asm management, due to higher and higher license cost for veritas.

   Does anyone has experience manage large database systems on ASM instances? We have never used ASM yet so not much idea about this, just some rough thinking yet.

   The things we are thinking about are: 1. ASM support for multipathing. So it does not treat two path of a single disk as two seperate disks, and when one path failure, the other path can still work as VxVM DMP does. Some hosts we have 4 paths to a single disk; 2. Same disk on different host can have different names. Like c4t0d36s2 on host A, and c5t0d36s2 on host B; WIth such name changed after failover ASM instance from host A to host B, how do we do that? 3. How ASM instance works regarding failover from one node to another node? The more difficult thing is, we could have some hosts with a single oracle_hoem, but 10+ standby instances, and sometimes we need to move one standby from node A to node B due to various reasons, will that still work with ASM? kind of diskgroup import/export?

  Also has anything used CRS service to manage oracle HA(failover type, not oracle RAC)?

--

Regards
Zhu Chao

--