Re: RAC Std: where to put 3rd voting disk with only 2 Storage Arrays

From: <bkaltofen_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:55:59 +0100

Hello,

@LS Cheng:

The 3rd voting disk on NFS is a good workaround. I think we will use it. Thanks!

See WP:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/thirdvoteonnfs.pdf

@Krish:
> It would seem to me that, for the voting disk you should be able to simply
> add two more voting devices after the initial installation.

As we always need an odd number of voting disks, we would always have one more on one array than on the other.

> As regards to losing the array: I rely on storage level mirroring for the
> data. If you are going to mirror the data with ASM (save SYSTEM, SYSAUX, and
> perhaps UNDO) in addition to storage mirroring (I assume you are), wouldn't
> it become rather expensive.

The storage that is used does not have a remote mirror option, so we will have to do the remote mirroring using a volume manager or ASM.
> Besides, philosophically, at what intensity and number failures, does this
> become a DR problem vs an HA problem?

philosophically: I'm alway arguing with the decision makers about this one.

Kind regards