Re: ASM to replace vxvm/vxfs;

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:15:03 -0800 (PST)

Yes I have built several the largest of it went from 0-20TB in about 6 months.

  1. We looked at MPXIO but ended up using EMC powerpath. ASM does not handle that part. You provided the consolidated device to ASM
  2. Except for the OCR and Voting disks, Yes. Just make sure that the same LUNS are available from all nodes even if its not by the same name (you can use EMC powermt for example)
  3. The issue you would run into is memory. I am still weiging the pros and cons of provisioning all the instances on all the servers vs only on some servers - have done both schems. I have managed the client the instance association by starting and stopping services. You could apply the same principle for instances as well. If you use kind of the airline model for overbooking you should at times be prepared to kick some passengers off or apply the pigeon hole principle, yikes!

-Krish

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Dec 18 2007 - 11:15:03 CST