Re: Is it possible to rename/move datafile online - possibly under RMAN?

From: Stephen Booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:51:27 +0000

On 07/11/2007, Dhimant Patel <drp4kri_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to move certain datafiles to another partition which is recently made
> available. I can move/rename files after taking them offline - although I
> would prefer if RMAN can do this while the file is online!

I'm not aware of anything in RMAN.

Do you need to move the datafiles or will moving the data be OK? Have you looked at alter table move online? I had a look around OTN and it looks possible. Obviously it would hammer your performance, would only really be suitable for fairly small quantities of data (else it would take too long) and assumes that you want to move all the datafiles for the current tablespace. Create a new tablespace with the datafiles on the partition you want to use, move the tables into that tablespace and drop the (now empty) tablespace. To move indexes use alter index rebuild.

There's some information here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/HA_10gR2_online_reorg_twp.pdf

and here: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_3001.htm#sthref4918

Stephen