Re: Is it possible to rename/move datafile online - possibly under RMAN?

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:09:32 -0800

Stephen Booth wrote:
> On 07/11/2007, Dhimant Patel <drp4kri_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need to move certain datafiles to another partition which is
recently made
>> available. I can move/rename files after taking them offline -
although I
>> would prefer if RMAN can do this while the file is online!
>
> Have you looked at alter table move online? I had a look around OTN
and it
> looks possible.

I'll probably be just one of many to point out this statement in the docs under 'alter table move ...':

ONLINE Clause
This clause is valid only for top-level index-organized tables and for nested table storage tables that are index organized. Specify ONLINE if you want DML operations on the index-organized table to be allowed during rebuilding of the primary key index of the table.

I used to use this method to minimize downtime moving datafiles:

http://tinyurl.com/38j43k

I could conceive of going a step further and creating a little standby with just the datafile you wanted to move in the intended destination, then offilining the tablespace just long enough to move the standby's datafile back into the primary. You would have to make sure not to rename the db_name or dbid for the standby.

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net