Re: How does one manually corrupt a database (database file, redo logs and backups)

From: Andrey Kriushin <Andrey.Kriushin_at_rdtex.ru>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:12:46 +0400

Actually, nice suggestion. In 8i (and probably earlier) no check was made on controlfile size (in the file header against fs) when mounting/opening the database. One of our customers had a problem then with the standby database - he incorrectly transfered cf to standby site (something like dd if=...| rsh 'dd of= '). I.e. standard error of local dd was written somewhere at the end. Problem showed only on cf extend on standby. One thing that helped during investigation - the resulting file size was an ODD number of bytes :-).

Fixed in 9i. Not checked in 10g.

--Andrey