RE: How does one manually corrupt a database (database file, redo logs and backups)

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:44:03 +0200

Charles

> Funny topic, eh? I am practicing backup and recovery procedures and
> finding that recovery is quite easy since I never have corrupted
> blocks to worry about. So, how do I practice for a "worse case"
> scenarios?

IMHO you already get excellent advices. I would just add that ideally you should not only check physical corruptions (RMAN reports such blocks as "FRACTURED" in v$database_block_corruption) but logical corruptions as well.

About logical corruptions consider the following: - RMAN, during backups, doesn't check them per default... CHECK LOGICAL must be added.
- The only way to produce them, if you are not lucky with random changes ;-), is to delve in the structure of the blocks, typically with BBED, and carefully change the blocks in a way that they are not recognized as physical corrupted.

Another point is that RMAN doesn't detect inconsistencies (e.g. between DATA and INDEX segments). Only ANALYZE do it.

HTH
Chris