Re: How does one manually corrupt a database (database file, redo logs and backups)

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 09:57:27 +0200

>> try it, I doubt it..appending junk at the end of a datafile might
>> not cause any headache until the next autoextend...
>
> On Solaris:

[...]

'echo "<somewhat string>" >> oracle_file' will corrupt the file, but oracle will detect it only when it tries to read/write to that block(s) at the end of the file. Rman, as far as I know, will detect it immediately too, except for some spacial cases (block change tracking enabled with certain type of backup).

Regards
Dimitre