CBO irregularity

From: Rick Stephenson <RStephenson_at_Ovid.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:35:38 -0600

The CBO has been nothing short of a pain in the butt to me. Going from Development to QA to a live environment achieves unexpected results. It seems that you never know what you are going to get when it comes to an execution plan. The developers run Oracle on their Windows box and the execution path is one way, but when it gets moved to a QA environment it chooses another way. At least with the RULE base optimizer you know what you are going to get.

Sometimes I think I am the only one with this problem. How do you work this? Do you always use hints, do you use stored outlines....?

Thanks,

Rick Stephenson