RE: CBO irregularity

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:35:09 -0500

Rachel

   Thanks for the clarification. We haven't yet been hit with an issue arising from the staging environment hardware not exactly duplicating production. Where we've used Windows servers it has been pretty obvious the O.S. environment must be a good duplicate. One of the methods we've used to sell management on the "bang for buck" ratio of the 3-environment setup has been that staging can have some h/w compromises -- fewer CPUs, less memory, cheaper/fewer disks -- hopefully that won't come back to bite us. Sometimes we have put staging and test on the same Unix server, although this is usually more trouble to explain to managers than it is worth. And we are just performing functional testing, not load testing. Definitely for load testing you need to closely duplicate the H/W.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com