RE: CBO irregularity

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:08:38 -0500

It's what CBO is built to do: take into account a tremendous number of variables, each of which has a right to influence the optimizer's choice for best plan. CBO tends to work pretty well when (a) you give it the information it needs, and (b) you let it do its job (okay, and maybe also "(c) you wait 'til 9.2 to use it").

By (a), I mean things like:

By (b), I mean things like:

If you really want plan stability, stored outlines can give you that. But the adaptive intelligence of a well-informed and properly functioning CBO is a smarter long-term decision except in rare cases.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
Nullius in verba

Upcoming events:
- Performance <http://www.hotsos.com/courses/PD101.php> Diagnosis 101: 6/22
Pittsburgh, 7/20 Cleveland, 8/10 Boston
- SQL Optimization <http://www.hotsos.com/courses/OP101.php> 101: 5/24 San
Diego, 6/14 Chicago, 6/28 Denver
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas