Database Archive

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:39:31 -0700

First off, this is not about archive logs. It is about archiving data. ie. moving data from your database to an offline
system or moving it to nearline storage (HSM, etc)

I was reading an article in Computerworld about this:

http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/software/story/0,10801,90819,00.html

Or just go to computerworld.com and type in QuickLink 44949

What struck me about this article is twofold

  1. archiving data to improve performance
  2. the databases they refer to don't seem all that large.

I would think that given a decent database to work with (Oracle) and someone fairly knowledgeable to run it, achieving acceptable performance would not require moving data out of the database.

For instance, one of the databases referred to is 100G is size.

Many of us have tables larger than that.

Just wondering what others reactions to this article are.

I plan to write a letter to computerworld regarding this, but thought it a

good idea to weigh in here first.

Thanks,

Jared