RE: Database Archive

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:54:51 -0400

Jaromir, at least through IMS version 7 HSAM still exists. I suspect it will exist for as long as IMSDB exists.

to thread --
The inclusion of purge/archive processes to an application during the design phase is in my experience neither that difficult or expensive as some previous posters implied. Nor is it always necessary that such retrieval be on demand. Often a few hours to an overnight delay is fully acceptable for retrieving archived data. Each case of what is being archived, how likely it is ever to be retrieved, and how it needs to be viewed has to be considered to determine cost/benefit for the project. But archival is a valid consideration for performance, security, and legal reasons. The need for archival depends on the application, the data, and what management wants! The design should fit the business requirements and if the requirements call for archival then you need to find a way to handle the requirement in a cost efficient manner.