RE: Database Archive

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:45:21 -0700

Jared et al,

The buzz word here is ILM - Information Lifecycle Management - the new frontier (aka big bucks waiting to be collected) for EMC ;-) Personally, I thought that this article highlighted the various facets of archiving of not-so-oft-used data out to an archive in a manner that is easily and transparently accessible. It does mention Princeton Software and OuterBay which are leaders in this industry. The latter is strong in Oracle Apps area, and it is worth investigating for us Apps DBAs. The problem (or issues!) are more from the Business/Business Analyst and Regulatory rules than from a technical point of view. The point is that the Technical side (us DBAs and the Developers to some extent, or the Data/Systems Architect if you have one) will have to drive this - the Business user/analyst will NOT to take this on, as it means headaches for them.

I was analyzing the data growth (not just segment growth, but actual row count growth) of some key tables in one of our fresh 11i databases - they grew about 300% in about a year! While it is true that tuning can alleviate some of the performance issues, the fact remains that sheer size will have its effect on overall response. A badly written query will have a greater impact on a larger dataset than it would have in a smaller dataset for sure! Morever, most complex applications are OTS, where you loose control over most of the code (and hence performance). Thus, the argument being made in the article that we need trim down the database is a valid one IMHO.

We did look at Archiving prior to an upgrade from an Apps 10.7 environment to Apps 11i, but gave up as the Project was too complex to handle at that time. No one has taken that on again, as it gets nasty and complex pretty quickly, but we probably should.

As to the article, the only fault I see is that it did not come on too strongly, and did not back this up with enough data (which is probably hard to get unless the writer implemented or measured a successful archival project). I am sure that OuterBay/Princeton have case studies of successful implementations though....

FWIW!
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)