Re: 100% CPU utilization, urgent

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:55:46 -0800

100% CPU utilization, urgentIt would be more appropriate to determine whether SMON is consuming all the CPU first, before sending someone on some irrelevant wild-goose chase for "fragmented tablespaces". More effective to first look for basic facts than to go off chasing after any theories at this point; you might be right, but if you're wrong than a lot of time has been wasted and confusion sown...

---

Since the symptom is CPU usage, then we should look at some of the information about CPU usage that Oracle stores internally. A quick and dirty starting point would be to query V$SESSTAT for the STATISTIC# related to the statistic "CPU used by this session", which you can find in V$STATNAME:   SELECT S.SID, S.PROGRAM, NVL(S.USERNAME, 'SYS'), S.TYPE, T.VALUE   FROM V$SESSION S, V$SESSTAT T, V$STATNAME N

  WHERE    N.NAME = 'CPU used by this session'
  AND      T.STATISTIC# = N.STATISTIC#
  AND      S.SID = T.SID

  ORDER BY T.VALUE DESC;
Feel free to post the first 5-10 lines of output from this query back as a reply to the list, if you'd like us to help interpret it?

---

The very best approach is to take a STATSPACK level-5 (default level) reading during the period of 100% utilization and submit the resulting "sp_*.lst" file to http://www.oraperf.com for further analysis. If SMON is the culprit, then you'll see SQL statements consuming tons of time updating the FET$ and UET$ tables in the SYS schema. Otherwise, follow the hyperlinks to the "big" percentages to find out what is consuming most of the resources, especially CPU...

If you don't have STATSPACK installed, the next best thing would be to take a BSTAT/ESTAT report over the same time period when CPU is pegged at 100% and (again) submit that to www.oraperf.com to get the full YAPP report. However, BSTAT/ESTAT will not provide information about SQL statements, so you'll need to find that separately. Best to just install STATSPACK; there is plenty of information on MetaLink...

---

Also, Oracle is supposed to supply some utility called "Performance Monitor for Windows" which is supposed to be helpful on that platform. I searched MetaLink briefly but couldn't find explanatory information; perhaps the standard doc-set on "otn.oracle.com" would have something?

Hope this helps...

  Check for fragmented tablespaces... There are chances that SMON is active and coalescing tablespaces.

    Hussain,

    We have a similar environment and we also hit 100%CPU utilization at times. But we never face problem because of tht. the DB keeps working fine during 100% CPU utilization also.

    Are you having a problem of logging into the DB during tht time?

    Regards
    Naveen

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com