RE: Need an Oracle Check List

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:49:33 -0800

Ken - Be sure to ask for the system password ;-) Congratulations on the position. If I'm recalling correctly from your previous posts, this is VERY welcome. The best suggestion is one I used myself. At some point you'll sit down and go over the systems. That will take about 30-minutes to 1 hour. You probably won't understand but a small portion of the statements because it will all be new to you. Take a small cassette recorder and record (with permission) the discussions of the systems you will be taking over. Then that night play the tape back and type up the conversation word-for-word. Then go over the transcript and make a list of questions for the departing DBA. Then the next day ask about any points that weren't clear when you reviewed the tape. In previous positions, everything would seem clear at the time but the next day I would be pretty hazy on the details. I used a tape recorder on my last job changeover and didn't miss a thing.

Some other questions

1. Which people are most critical to my success in this position?
2. What issues are the most important?
3. What issues regularly arise which impact the quality of the systems?
4. What areas do I need to learn more?

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jan 20 2003 - 08:49:33 CST