(Fwd) RE: Oracle Application Development Tools - Statement of

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:27:48 -0700

Thanks for a little clarity, Bill; even if it's overloaded with Marketing-speak. Of course, this is the line of the time; in 6 months, who knows.

Quick summation and filtering of marketing-speak: 1) Cherokee is dead; quit dreaming. It goes to the same graveyard as Sedona.
2) Java and XML are it; Forms lives only for Apps (Big O hasn't figured out how to convert themselves).

     The Forms and PL/SQL skillsets will fade to black (albeit slowly in App shops; Apps will probably fade faster).

     [P.S. Forms 7 is slated *not* to support Client-server deployment; be ready out there!]
3) Given this, you *will* have to 'take control' of the client browser, to ensure they are up-to-date (but not too up-to-date) to handle your applications, whether Jar files or XML implementations. 4) Generation of applications from Designer is on the way out; modeling only. Back to the great dis-association of the functional models from the actual application code.
5) The repository's future purpose will be as a high-dollar replacement for PVCS, SourceSafe, etc.

All of this wouldn't bother me as much if I'd heard of *one* major internet site primarily done with either Forms and/or JDeveloper. And, as far as I know, the ODTUG site has the most complete Portal implementation to date outside of Oracle.

I hope somebody will alleviate my ignorance if this is not true, and list real sites who are currently using this stuff (outside of Oracle itself).

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Apr 25 2001 - 17:27:48 CDT