9iAS -- Boxes on which to run

From: <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:35:12 -0700

Listers,

Currently running a Dev2k 2.1 web enabled application using 7.3.4 on an HP-UX V2500 16 processor box with the Forms servers and OAS 3.x running on 5 HP-UX "D" class machines and the Reports Server running on the V2500. Currently in the process of upgrading to 8.1.7, Developer 6i Release 2, and 9iAS. The folks are considering taking the D class machines out of the mix and running 9iAS, both Forms and Reports servers on the V2500, same machine as the database, or, changing over to a couple of two way Intel boxes for running the Forms Servers (not sure about the Reports server). Oracle is telling the operations folks that a couple of "inexpensive" dual processor Intel boxes could easily handle the Forms Server load.

Their driving factor, from what I understand, is to save money. One, by eliminating the D boxes. Secondly, the licensing costs for running 9iAS on the Intel boxes is significantly lower than what they would pay to run 9iAS on the V2500, or, on the D boxes.

I would like to hear from others who may have a similar configuration using Intel boxes for the app server. How many users they support, etc. For example, this application has about 5000 users with 700 to 900 logged in at any time, with typically 15 to 20 "active" users at any given time. It is an OLTP app with quick hitting SQL statements, but, they also pump out about 8,000 to 10,000 reports a day. Most reports run anywhere from sub second to 5 seconds, with a few being a bit more resource intensive and running 2 to 3 minutes, some a bit longer but with no daytime on-line reports exceeding 5 minutes. The DB is around 240 gig of actual data.

Anyway, all of this is way out of my realm of experience, and, the operations folks aren't real sure either about how to proceed. So, I told them I would pose this question to one of the list servers I follow and see if anyone has anything they would like to share.

Thanks,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net

  INET: elkinsl_at_flash.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Apr 12 2001 - 18:35:12 CDT