Re: 9iAS -- Boxes on which to run

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:00:54 -0700

On 12 Apr 2001, at 16:30, elkinsl_at_flash.net wrote:

Date sent:              Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:30:24 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

> Currently running a Dev2k 2.1 web enabled application using 7.3.4 on an
> HP-UX V2500 16 processor box with the Forms servers and OAS 3.x running on
> 5 HP-UX "D" class machines

> ... Oracle is
> telling the operations folks that a couple of "inexpensive" dual processor
> Intel boxes could easily handle the Forms Server load.

> Anyway, all of this is way out of my realm of experience, and, the
> operations folks aren't real sure either about how to proceed. So, I told
> them I would pose this question to one of the list servers I follow and see
> if anyone has anything they would like to share.

Larry,

Just in case you didn't know, and it might be pertinent, any NT (&Win/2000) database from 8.1.7 on supposedly can't run on the same machine as the Forms web server.

(I just realized that you didn't actually say you are planning on running on NT.)

Anyway, see below for something vaguely relevant from the Win-NT listserv about problems estimating capacity of NT "file" servers (not including database and web considerations):

---original message follows---
Date sent: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:54:07 -0400

I've done 1500 [users on] a fully-switched, 100Mb environment, with RAID1 & RAID5 on 600Mhz boxes.

Of course, we're only talking documents and printers here, not apps, and there were quotas in place.

Depends on the users, though, and the concurrency (I didn't have more than 900 users at a time)

Lots of factors to consider, which is why there are no really good benchmarks as yet.

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu