Re: On-Call - terms, conidtions and perks!

From: Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 05:13:06 -0800

comments inline

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001, O'Neill, Sean wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Our company has inidicated it's heading for 24 x 7 operation. So informal
> talks are taking place about the new "challenges" this brings regarding
> having staff on call to support IT systems. I would very much appreciate
> your feedback if you are in an on-call environment as to what the terms,
> conditions, and perks (if any) you get for same.
> Some specific information I'm looking for is:
> - How frequently are you on-call and for how long and to cover what hours.
> e.g. one week a month from 22:00 - 06:00.

I'm on call constantly. However, since our batch jobs don't run until 10pm, technically that is really the only time I have to worry about being paged (although one time our users got my pager number ... it was quickly changed and very strict instructions were sent out not to do it again).

> - What tools are you given to support this process. e.g. pager, laptop for
> remote dial-in, cell phone.

Yep.

> - Whats the procedure if you "get the call". Do you dial in initially to
> try to resolve, that failing go on site, in other
> words the escalation process

The first page goes to the developers. If it's a program problem, they fix it. If it's database related, I get the page. I dial in from home (I've never had to go onsite, knock on wood, but that would be the next step if connectivity between home and $WORKPLACE went down).

> - What renumeration or other benefits do you get for being on call.
> - Are there additional 'benefits' if you are called whilst being on call.

$75 per week while on call. Each time being paged is 3 hours work minimum, regardless if you spent 3 hours or 10 minutes fixing the problem. Time after that is billed hourly.

Cheers,
GC

Author: Gregory Conron
  INET: gconron_at_hfx.andara.com