RE: On-Call - terms, conidtions and perks!

From: Jenner Mike <M.Jenner_at_southampton.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 03:54:06 -0800

Sean,

        Interesting point and getting more valid all the time, as you say.

I've worked in places where :
1) there was a laptop/pager provided but no renumeration (7 years ago, I was a junior DBA - didn't know any better!) 2) Rota of call out with (UK pound equivalent of) $6 per weekday, $8 Saturday, $10 Sunday with
mobile phone and laptop and pay for any time worked over 1 hour. 3) On-call requirements with mobile phone. renumeration = 1 hour's pay for each 24 hour day of cover (wekday or weekend) plus pay from leaving home to getting home when it was necessary to be at work.

I think that 1) above is unacceptable in todays financial requirements for 24/7. Somtimes arranging my life arround a possible call-out made $6-10 per day did not seem worth it but I'm a contractor so it was part of the job when I took it. If I were an employee being asked to provide on-call cover, option 3 plus laptop is pretty much the minimum I would look for.

Author: O'Neill, Sean
  INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie

Author: Jenner Mike
  INET: M.Jenner_at_southampton.gov.uk