Re: On-Call - terms, conidtions and perks!

From: james ellis <jellis24_gso_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 07:17:24 -0800

Hi Sean,
 I have worked in two environments that required 24X7 support. My first job as a DBA we had a 4 man team and rotated the pager every week. So each DBA was on-call once a month. All we carried was a pager. We all had personal computers at home, so we really didn't need a laptop. If the on-call DBA needed to go out of town or something he made arrangements before hand to get his rotation covered. There was no monetary supplement for being on-call. My manager kind of lumped it in our salaries and supplemented comp time in. (3Yrs)

My second experience was with a larger organization and they equiped on-call personnel with a laptop, pager and cell phone. There was a rotation every week depending on how many people were in your group. They actually paid on-call personnel $125/wk whether you were called or not. So having the laptop and the supplemental income really made that experience a little better. (1yr)

I hope that helps

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
Author: james ellis