Tips for Building the Designer2000 Repository

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:19:06 -0700

Sometimes Oracle's recommendations are good and sometimes they are puzzling. I'm installing Designer2000 (version 6i) today and going thru the docs. Oracle recommends creating 15 tablespaces dedicated for Des2k objects. I like the idea of segregating like objects into separate tablespaces. But, for a large repository, the recommended size for 8 of these tablespaces is less than 5MB. Eight itty bitty teeny tiny datafiles < 5MB ??? (This is on a scale of MS Access :-) Is it really worth it or should I ignore Oracle's recommendations and lump some of these tablespaces together (except for those containing I/O contending objects)?

(I'm putting the repository on a small Sun pizza box dedicated to DBA management stuff like statspack, the OEM and RMAN repositories, my own stuff, etc. No capacity problems are anticipated on this box.)

Any other tips on sizing and init.ora parms for supporting the Des2k repository? Any other DBA issues for maintaining the repository?

All off-the-wall-2-bit-recommendations are welcome from my DBA friends on the lists. :-) TIA.

Puzzled as usual... Received on Fri Jul 14 2000 - 11:19:06 CDT